If my business partner’sassets are frozen and he has my initial investment, what are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my business partner’sassets are frozen and he has my initial investment, what are my options?

I bought into a company for $50,000; a 25% stake. The other person held a 75% stake in the company. A few months later I fund out that he is wanted for running a scam for 4 years and owes the IRS over $500,000 in back taxes. I immediately told him that I wanted out of the company and he told me, “Okay”. He said that he only had enough to pay me and the IRS. He then got served for a lawsuit and his assets were frozen. I transferred the $50,000 to his personal account. A few months ago he plead guilty and is getting sentenced later this month. I don’t want the IRS to get paid with my money.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem that you have is that you are competing with the Internal Revenue Service for limited monies due each of you. If your business partner's assets are frozen per some presumed court order, there is not much you can do about getting back your money anytime soon other than have him sign a written promissory note to you secured by some asset having value such as real estate.

Given the difficult situation that you are in, it would be in your best interests to consult with a business attorney to assist you concerning your situation with your business partner and a possible lawsuit against him for fraud in inducing you to invest with him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption