If I just found out that my business partner embezzeld funds from my ban account 4 years ago, can she still be prosecuted?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just found out that my business partner embezzeld funds from my ban account 4 years ago, can she still be prosecuted?

My business partner/accountant has been doing my bookkeeping, etc.for the last 8 years. I just found out last week she has been embezzling money from my bank account; the last time she that she did so was 4 years ago. Since it was 4 years, can I still prosecute her? I just truly discovered it last week when she turned over my records, etc. Does the discovery rule apply since I just found out?

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations, or time period for a criminal prosecution to commence, in your state varies with the amount of money take; the more that is stolen, the longer the time period. The maximum is four years, if several thousand dollars (or more) are taken. The discovery rule does not apply to criminal prosecutions, so from what you write, you either are almost out of time or may be out of time for your former partner to be prosecuted. You should not waste any time in speaking with the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption