Can an injunction be extended without a hearing?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an injunction be extended without a hearing?

My brother was accused of child abuse by his son’s mother. The first thing she did was order an injunction which was granted but without the social worker’s report or a statement from my brother. He went through a long trial (with an attorney) and was found not guilty by the jury. The mother is now in jail and facing prison but there is still 4 months on the injunction. The mother’s parents are pursuing child support and plan to ask for the injunction to get extended. Can they do this without a hearing? Can it be extended since he was found not guilty?

Asked on October 10, 2014 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There are different burdens of proof.  Even if your brother was found not guilty at a criminal trial, a criminal conviction requires guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  The standard of proof in family court is preponderance of the evidence, a much lower threshhold.  So yes, the injunction can be extended by the court if the family court judge believes it is in the child's best interest.  However, with mom in jail, the judge is unlikely to choose the grandparents over the dad.  He would do so probably only with a strong recommendation from the social worker that he do so.  There will be a hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption