If my brother used my name as an alias and I am now unable to clear back ground checks, what should I do?

UPDATED: May 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother used my name as an alias and I am now unable to clear back ground checks, what should I do?

I am on the list of known alias’.

Asked on May 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy.  You need to contact the agency that listed your name as an alias for him and see about clearing up that issue.  May I ask: did he use your social security number as well?  Because that could be an easy way for you to clear up the matter but I am fearful that he must given what you have said.  So you need to prove that you are you.  It will not be easy.  Have you sen what comes up on a background check?  You should probably run one on yourself and then try and figure out how to contact all the agencies that list the name and social security number as being associated with your brother and clear up the issue.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption