Do I have a case if my brother molested me as a child andnow I’m of ageand having problems dealing with it?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case if my brother molested me as a child andnow I’m of ageand having problems dealing with it?

At the age of 10 is when it started. My brother was having sex with me; he was caught by our middle brother. When my parents were told they it made me keep a secret. Now that I’m grown I’m having problems as an adult dealing with it and am seeking help. I need to get counseling. Do I have a case? Can anyone help me?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Personal Injury, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney further about your question and being molested by your brother when your were age 10. An issue is how old was your brother at the time of the acts? If he was relatively young that could be an issue.

Another issue is how old are you presently? The reason is that there are statute of limitations issues that begin running in such a case when the molested minor child reaches the age of majority. You possibly may have a claim as to your parents if they knew about the problem and did nothing to protect you. I also suggest that you meet with a counselor about the trauma you are presently experiencing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption