What to do if my brother is the trustee over my Mom’s Trust but he has not conducted himself morally or legally?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my brother is the trustee over my Mom’s Trust but he has not conducted himself morally or legally?

She passed away 4 months ago and I have not received any information since she passed away as to when the final distribution of ssets will be done to the beneficiaries. The trustee, my brother, has treated me unfairly and with contempt over his jealousy. What can I do to find out the status of the Trust. He will not supply me with any information.

Asked on August 23, 2015 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You have hired and attorney and she is not responding wither?  She has a duty to make sure that you are supplied with information from the Trustee and he has a duty to supply it.  The problem here is that there is no judge per se watching over things like in a Probate proceeding. If you think that he has not acted properly and breached his duty then you can challenge him in court costly or ask your lawyer to demand an accounting.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption