If my brother is charged with auto theft and burglary, could a DA drop charges?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother is charged with auto theft and burglary, could a DA drop charges?

His wife is accusing him of steeling a vehicle but he has his own keys and entry to his own house. Also, he did not know his wife had put a restraining order.

Asked on February 21, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the DA does not believe their is sufficient evidence to go forward, then the DA can make the decision to drop the charges. The information you describe could make a big difference in their decision to go forward with the charges. However, the DA may or may not be aware of the information you list in your question.  If your brother wants to make sure this information is communicated, he should hire a criminal defense attorney to communicate it for him.  It would be cheaper if he communicated the information himself, but any statements that he makes could potentially be twisted or come back to haunt him later.  Even though a bit more on the front end, the attorney can help save a great deal of headache on the backend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption