If my brother died without a Will, what are my obligations if I become executor of his estate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother died without a Will, what are my obligations if I become executor of his estate?

He has a vehicle financed through a credit union, was renting an apartment, and has a checking account

which I do not know his balance. He has 3 children, 2 of whom did not communicate with him much. I have spoken with all three and they want me to settle my brother’s affairs.

Asked on June 13, 2017 under Estate Planning, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If there is no will, you would not be an executor (executors are named by wills), but could be appointed the administrator or "personal representative" of the estate by the court, which is more-or-less the same thing. 
As an adminstrator, you need to inform creditors of your brother's death and give them a chance to submit claims; you have to "gather" his assets (find and take control of his accounts, property, etc.); pay his debts and final expenses from the "estate" money (i.e. what he left behind; NOT from your personal assets or money); take steps to preserve his property until it is distributed, if applicable (since he did not own real estate, this should not be an issue); then distribute any money or assets left over after debts and final expenses to his heirs, which--if there was no will--will be his children.
You don't have to go out of pocket to do this, but it can involve a fair amount of work. Without a will, his children, not you, inherit--why not let one of his children, who will be getting the benefits of his estate, also take this responsibility and be the administrator?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption