What to do if my brother died from a heart attack the day after he went in for a scheduled doctor check-up?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my brother died from a heart attack the day after he went in for a scheduled doctor check-up?

He was given an ekg and was prescribed medicine for high blood pressure, which he picked up and took one dose and died the next day. What can be done, to find out if this caused his death?

Asked on February 12, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to have an autopsy done of your brother and/or have the doctor's notes, test results, prescription, etc. reviewed by a cardiologist. Since you are clearly contemplating that there may be a wrongful death claim here, you should speak with experienced medical malpractice counsel, who should be able to guide you in the type of medical test(s) or review(s) you need to have done. Once you have a medical expert or experts telling you what likely happened, you and your attorney can determine if you have a case worth pursuing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption