If I have an I-130 on file, will that significantly impede my ability to be granted an F1 visa or H1B1 non-immigrant work visa?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have an I-130 on file, will that significantly impede my ability to be granted an F1 visa or H1B1 non-immigrant work visa?

The rest of my family and myself are Singaporeans. My brother (born in the US) is intending to file a I-130 for sibling sponsorship for me soon. We understand this process takes a very long time, but it is really as a backup plan as I would like to be able to move to the US eventually. In the meantime, I am intending to apply to graduate school soon, and if possible, work in the US thereafter. Since my parents still reside in Singapore, would I be able to show that I could return home after school since my I-130 is so far out from being processed?

Asked on April 23, 2013 under Immigration Law, Illinois


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It may be an issue for your F1 visa. It will not be a problem for an H1b. I would recommend that you get the F1 first and then file for the I-130 (just to be safe).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption