If my brother and I are sole beneficiaries in our father’s Will, can any assests be transferred prior to probate?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother and I are sole beneficiaries in our father’s Will, can any assests be transferred prior to probate?

His estate, which includes his house, has not yet been probated. My brother would like to buy my share of the house. Can the house title/deed be transferred into my brother’s name before probate? What are the advantages/disadvantages if any?

Asked on February 12, 2011 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

While you don't say so explicitly, from the context of  your question, it appears your father has already passed. If that's the case, then no--assets cannot be transferred before probate and they are distributed to the heirs. Until that happens, it's not your or your brother's house--you have an expection of getting it, but not actual ownership interest yet. You cannot transfer what you do not yet own. You and your brother can certainly contract that you will sell your share of the house once it is yours--but again, if the assets haven't been distributed yet per the will, it's not your share of the house.

If your father has not yet passed, there are many ways, with his concurrence, to transfer assets that he intends to leave to heirs in a way that may be more beneficial than by will. An estates attorney can help you with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption