If my boyfriend is divorced, what can we do to get rid of his ex-wife’s stuff?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend is divorced, what can we do to get rid of his ex-wife’s stuff?

His ex-wife filed for divorce 2 years ago and the divorce was just finalized a couple of months ago. The ex, who is a hoarder, has stuff stashed in all corners of the house and my boyfriend and I are sick of looking at it. We’ve asked her to come and get it many times but she has not done so.

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The way to get rid of the "ex's" belongings is to write her a note telling her that she needs to get the items by a certain date or you would have the belongings placed in storage in her name.

If the due date comes and goes without the items being retrieved, have them placed in offsite storage in her name and send her the contract and location where the belongings are. Keep a copy of the correspondence of all for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption