If my boyfriend and I just had a baby, could he get the child support that he pays for his other child lowered?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend and I just had a baby, could he get the child support that he pays for his other child lowered?

He pays over $970 a month for child support for his 4 year old girl. He works full-time at a hospital earning about $1800 a month. Most of the time in order just to pay rent and the car bill he is forced to work 20-50 hours of overtime.

Asked on November 22, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is probably worth going to court and seeking a reduction, but he needs to be prepared that it is unlikely to be granted. Courts rarely reduce the amount of support provided to one child simply because the person paying support has had other children--that obviously would hurt his first child when she has done nothing to warrant that. Rather, courts expect that people will deal with the consequences of their own choices and actions, such as to have another child, without hurting other people's rights and interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption