Are drug treatment facilities or hospitals required by law to contact a patient’s probation officer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are drug treatment facilities or hospitals required by law to contact a patient’s probation officer?

My boyfriend is on probation for drug possession and has started using again. He would like to go to a detox facility or hospital, but he is afraid they will call his probation officer. Will they research to see if he’s on probation if he doesn’t tell him? I have searched online and cannot find any definite answers; any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Asked on January 1, 2016 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Most treatment facilities will abide by HIPPA and not disclose information regarding treatment plans without an authorized release. Before your boyfriend checks into a facility, you should call them just someone who is looking for a facility for a "friend" and simply ask them about their policies and procedures regarding HIPPA and the release of information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption