What can I do if my boyfriend and I have recently separated and now he will not allow me access to our dog that he got for me as a gift?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my boyfriend and I have recently separated and now he will not allow me access to our dog that he got for me as a gift?

We both paid for him. However, when he did the AKC registration, he put his name as primary (which makes no sense since he was for me) but I am still secondary on the registration. This is causing me extreme emotional distress. I am distraught and feel like I have lost my child. I need to know if there is anything I can do. I tried to compromise with him and he said, “You will never see Clyde (our dog0 again and then blocked my number. I have to have my baby. I have lost my child.

Asked on September 24, 2014 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if the dog was yours--i.e. it was a gift to you--he cannot take it back. But practically, if he is registered as the primary owner and is prepared to testify that it is his dog, it may be hard to prove that it is yours and not his. Your only recourse to get the dog would be to sue him in court--and not in small claims court, which can only give money damages; you'd have to sue  in regular district or county court--for a court order that he turn the dog over to you. You'd have to prove in court, by testimony and/or evidence, that the dog was a gift and you owned it; he would be able to present his contrary testimony and evidence. It may be an uphill fight, and possibly expensive (you really should get an attorney) to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption