Is it legal for my boss to transfer me to another location against my will with only 12 hours notice?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for my boss to transfer me to another location against my will with only 12 hours notice?

I am a general manager of a restaurant. I have been with the company going on 5 years. I was told at 7 pm today “you no longer work here, you must report another location as of 7 am tomorrow.

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


Archibald J Thomas / Law Offices of Archibald J. Thomas, III, P.A. - Employee Rights Lawyers

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you do not have an employment contract prohibiting or restricting the transfer, it is not illegal for an employer to transfer an employee on short notice.  Although the action may not be reasonable or fair, the nature of at will employment gives the employer broad leeway with regard to work assignments and locations, such that the situation you described would not likely give rise to a legal claim in the abence of some legally prohibited motive for the transfer such as discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption