My boss is not paying me what we verbally agreed on and lied to me when I signed my contract, is there anything I can do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My boss is not paying me what we verbally agreed on and lied to me when I signed my contract, is there anything I can do?

When my boss and I first agreed on how much I would get paid we agreed on 12 and hour. When I was brought the contract she verbally explained it to me and once again said I was getting paid 12 an hour. Now that I am looking over the contract I see that instead of saying the hourly rate she put the full amount for the full year I work at a school and it adds up to be 10.75 an hour. I know I signed the contract so it is my fault for not double checking but I signed it under the assumption she was telling me the truth when she said it was 12 an hour.

Asked on December 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An oral (that is the better term than "verbal") agreement is not binding on an employer, and is also overridden by any later-signed written contract. If you signed a written employment contract, all that matters is what was in the contract, not what was discussed or promised earlier; and if an employee does not have a written employment contract, then their pay is simply whatever the employer chooses to pay them, since they are in that case an "employee at will" and employees at will have no right to any particular pay and no control over what they are paid (it is 100% up to the employer).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption