If my boss is constantly rude and saying very rude things about me in front of the office, what should I do?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boss is constantly rude and saying very rude things about me in front of the office, what should I do?

One day my boss said to me that I should give up my baby for adoption because I would be a terrible mother, I started to cry because of how rude the comment was and my hormones. She then told me to go home. Also, on various occasions she has said in front of everyone in the office, “Pregnancy is making you stupid”.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Normally, a boss is free to be as rude and mean as he or she likes. However, there are certain limits, and one is that an employer may not harass a woman because she is woman. Comments about a woman's pregnancy or pregnancy-related hormones may constitute illegal harassment, even if made by another woman. You may wish to contact your state department of equal or civil rights, to see if these comments would constitute actionable harassment. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption