Wht is the law regarding meal breaks?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht is the law regarding meal breaks?

My boss has me work 6 hours at 1 location with no meal break. Then travel to another location within a half hour and work another 4 hours without a meal. Am I entitled to a break before starting my 4 hour shift? I do not get paid to travel between jobs either.

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, an employee is required to have at least a ten (10) minute break for each four (4) hours of work to be done after the passage of two (2) hours of work.

As to a meal break, an employee is required to have at least a thirty (30) minute meal break after working four (4) hours into an eight (8) hour plus shift. From what you have written, it appears that you may be owed overtime for the hours you have worked if not paid time and a half for any time worked more than eight (8) hours per day and forty (40) hours in a working week.

I suggest that you consult further with an employment attorney about your question or your local department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption