What to do ifI was not notified of a summons of garnishment?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifI was not notified of a summons of garnishment?

My bank was served with a summons of garnishment so they put a permanent hold on my account for the amount of $2000. I contacted my bank and they told me to call the creditor so that they can lift the hold. When I contacted the creditor they told me that there is nothing they can do to help me; that the hold will stand until they get all my money. What should I do? I’m trying to pay the debt but don’t have the whole amount.

Asked on December 18, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Ok, well, the creditor can indeed do something but they are choosing not to.  Did you have an agreement with them to pay and did you default on the agreement?  Then they had a right to levy against the account.  I would suggest that if you have direct deposit of your paycheck you stop it and do not open another bank account just yet.  You can try and re-negotiate the debt and enter in to another agreement.  Some states allow you to file for a stay of the garnishment and get the matter before a judge to set an amount that you can easily pay. Bankruptcy is also an option.  You should speak with someone in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption