What can I do if my bank account is attached to my mom’s account but she committed fraud and now this has affected me?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my bank account is attached to my mom’s account but she committed fraud and now this has affected me?

She used my account for check kiting. My account was closed. I tried to apply for a new account through a different bank, and was denied because of fraud history. I am 18 years old.

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Business Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry that this is happening to you.  Your name was probably submitted to a company called ChexSystems.  I am going to give you a link to their website and understanding how they work.  In the meantime, it can never hurt to write a ton of letters to the bank higher ups that reported your Mother and had you go along for the ride.  If she did not use your account specifically but it was only "linked" then you have a good argument.  I might also write to the State Banking Commission if you get no satisfaction from the bank itself.  Try also opening accounts like pre paid cards (Amex, Visa PayPal) to help build your credit back up.  Good luck to you.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption