How can I drop the charges telling the judge that I lied and was forced into putting out a criminal summons that I never wanted?

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I drop the charges telling the judge that I lied and was forced into putting out a criminal summons that I never wanted?

My boyfriend and I broke up because I took some money without asking him. He then wanted me out of the house that day. I called my parents and they told me to call the police and lie that my boyfriend physically hurt me; in fact he never touched me. My parents came and picked me up and drove me straight to the magistrate’s office; they forced my hand and made me sign a criminal summons. I’ve been trying to drop the charges but haven’t been successful at it.

Asked on February 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Speak with an attorney before doing anything. You filed a false report: you committed a crime as well as something that your boyfriend could sue you over. (You also committed a crime in stealing his money--that's what it  means if you "took some money without asking him.") The law does will not consider that you were "forced" unless by that you mean your parents threatened you with violence unless you did what they said--and if so, you should be pressing charges against *them.* If they did not actually use violence or the threat of violence, you were not legally "forced." Thus, you could be facing civil and criminal liability for what you did. Of  course, it will be worse the longer you wait, should it eventually come out (as it probably will), so it's likely in your interest--as well as being the right, thing to do--to admit to what happened and try to make amends; but speak with an attorney first about how best to do this to protect yourself as much as possible from the consequences.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption