What can I do if the payments on my car loan aren’t be applied to principal as they should be?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the payments on my car loan aren’t be applied to principal as they should be?

I’ve had my auto loan for 5 years. Due to the fact that the auto finance company went out of business a new company took over my loan. However on the last few months my payments aren’t being applied as they should (70% is going to interest). I’ve tried to go back and forth with them but I’m at a loss and really don’t want to make any more payment on this vehicle considering it should already be paid off.

Asked on August 24, 2011 Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When the new company took over the loan, they took it over subject to its terms--the same terms in the original agreement, and which you had agreed to in taking out the loan. They cannot change the terms of the loan. Therefore, the new company has to apply the payments however  the original loan required. You should therefore first check your original loan documents, payment schedule, etc., to see how the money should have been applied; if it has been misapplied and the company refuses to correct that problem, you could sue them, seeking a court order that they apply the money properly and/or seeking money damages or compensation from them. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption