What to do if my aunt passed away earlier this year and she owned 25% of the house?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my aunt passed away earlier this year and she owned 25% of the house?

My uncle, her husband, is still alive. Is there a process involved with the transfer of the house? Or will a death certificate be fine? Is there a estate tax?

Asked on October 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to transfer legal title to the home that your aunt held a 25% interest in one has to ascertain how title to the property was held (most likely not joint tenancy since she had a 25% interest in it), what her Will or trust state and if no Will or trust, then you have to deal with her assets through the intestacy process.

I suggest that a Wills and trust attorney be consulted to deal with the matter you are writing about since your question is too broadly worded to give an answer. Whether or not there is an estate tax depends upon the size of the estate (net amount). The process to transfer title of the 25% of the home if there is no trust is via a probate or intestacy proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption