How can I find out if I was named in a Will?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out if I was named in a Will?

My aunt passed; her husband passed 7 years prior. They had no children but on my aunt’s side there are 2 neices/nephews and on my uncle’s there are 3 nieces/nephews. Even though I my aunt chose to not keep in touch with her n/n, I strongly believe we would have been named in the Will. One of uncle’s nephews was named as executor. Before my aunt passed, she expressed her concern that this nephew was executor. She was afraid he would not follow the wills instructions. How can I make sure that said nephew disposes of her assets as she wished? He obviously is not forth coming with any information. At my aunts funeral, he did tell me that he already was in contact with her lawyer.

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you are named in the Will or if you would inherit under the intestacy statute, you would have to be given notice of the filing of any proceeding in Probate Court.  A probate proceeding is a public record and you can go to the Probate COurt in the county in which she resided at the time of her death to check the files.  If she just passed give it a little time.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption