What to do if my aunt died in poverty and only left a safety deposit box but no one has access?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my aunt died in poverty and only left a safety deposit box but no one has access?

She had a Will but never filed it. I was on her account to receive her bank account but I do not think she realized it did not mean the safety deposit box. We do not have a key so now no one has access. I live pretty far away.

Asked on February 20, 2015 under Estate Planning, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

At this point, the only thing to be done is to file for probate. Actually, since the estate is negligable, it can qualify for something known as a "small estate" filing. This is essentially an expedited probate. In fact, depending on the state, you may just have to file an affidavit. Once this is done, you (or whoever wants to be the personal representative or the like) will be given the legal authority to have the bank give them access to your late aunt's safety deposit box.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption