What steps do i take if my attorney is helping himself to my checking account?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps do i take if my attorney is helping himself to my checking account?

I closed an oil and gas option agreement for the sum of $25,000. The money was wired to my attorney’s trust account where he paid himself and other pertinent bills relating to the close from. He then set up a checking account in his and my name and proceeded to write checks on his own behalf. Is this legal?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The attorney using his trust account to pay himself and other bills pertaining to the transaction is appropriate.

The attorney setting up the checking account in his name and your name without your consent and writing checks to himself is a violation of the rules of Professional Responsibility.  It would be advisable for you to contact the State Bar and file a complaint against the attorney.  The attorney will be subject to discipline by the State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption