What can I do if my auto insurer refuse to cover an automobile accident after I have been paying full coverage?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my auto insurer refuse to cover an automobile accident after I have been paying full coverage?

My mistake was that I authorized my son to drive my car one day because I could not do the driving. He is licensed.

Asked on December 30, 2014 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Normally, an insurer will cover losses caused by authorized drivers of a car--for example, if you loaned your car to a friend or sibling for a day, the insurer would normally cover any losses. However, if you son either was a member of your household (i.e. lived with you) or else commonly or frequently borrowed your car, then he should have been listed on your policy as a covered driver (and you, presumably, should have paid something extra in premiums to cover him); a failure to list someone who should be on the policy can result in coverage for that person being denied. Your first step, in trying to resolve this matter, is to find out from your insurer why they are denying coverage--is it that they feel your son should have been named in the policy, or is it some other reason? Once you know the reason for the denial, you can then see if there is some way to overturn it and get your insurer to pay out for the loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption