If I havePOA over my grandmother since her son is abusive, couldI put him out of her house?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I havePOA over my grandmother since her son is abusive, couldI put him out of her house?

My 91 year-old grandmother was abused by her son. He got out of jail for murder in 06 and since then he has stolen her money and didn’t pay any of her taxes. She now lives with me.

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

She is very fortunate to have you around to help her.  If you have a General Power of Attorney for all legal purposes then you can probably do what you want.  But I would instead suggest that you apply to be the conservator of your Grandmother and her Estate and then that law gives you much greater power and control, although your Uncle may indeed fight you on it all.  Is your Grandmother of sound mind?  Then go and seek help from an attorney and ask about having a restraining order put in place that would keep him away from her and from her home.  That could be another avenue for immediate help while you get everything else in place.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption