If my 7 year marriage has never been consummated, can I file a no-fault divorce based on that alone?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 7 year marriage has never been consummated, can I file a no-fault divorce based on that alone?

I have been unhappily married for the entire time. We’ve never had sex and he still doesn’t want to have sex because he has HIV and no sex drive (his reasons). I knew when we got married that he had HIV but we had counseling and discussed everything, so a “no sex ever” situation was not a part of the agreement. Also, we are both bisexuals and I found out he was cheating on me with a male “friend” of his. This friend himself told me all the details. I don’t want to put all his business out there with this divorce, so I want the easiest way to file a no-fault divorce.

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for yoursituation,  The whole idea of a "no-fault" divorce is that there are no grounds stated and there are no labels put on one or the other of the parties - adulterer, etc. - and that the matter moves through the process without much name calling.  If the marriage has never been consummated you may in fact have grounds for a legal annulment under the law in New Jersey but you would have to check that.  I must tell you that obtaining a legal annulment can me much more difficult than a legal uncontested divorce.  Get legal help with all of this.  If your husband is in agreement then things should go smoothly.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption