If my 77 year old father was arrested for shoplifting, what can we expect?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 77 year old father was arrested for shoplifting, what can we expect?

My father has never broken the law. He does get confused sometimes however; my mother heard the security guard say something to the effect that “this is not the first time”. What is the most probable scenario? We are so worried.

Asked on June 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Considering your father's age and that he may have been confused, most likely the situation will be resolved.  Your father will receive a letter from the store demanding payment of an amount which is probably considerably more than the value of the merchandise he is accused of shoplifting.  Once the sum is paid that will probably end the matter.  Your father's age and possible confusion are factors in his favor in resolving this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption