What are my rights as a parent if my 3 year old daughter was molested but the state’s attorney dropped the case?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a parent if my 3 year old daughter was molested but the state’s attorney dropped the case?

We did all the right steps.

Asked on December 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the decision was not made by the top level attorney in that office--for example, it was made by an assistant prosecutor, not the district attorney or county prosecutor--you could try going over his or her head to his or her supervisor. You cannot, however, force the state to prosecute, so the top-level person may still decide not to, such as if they feel the evidence is too weak.

You could sue the molestor (or his/her family, if the molestor was a minor child) for monetary compensation (which can also offer some justice and closure)--the state has no control over whether you can do that. You should speak with an attorney about this option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption