What can I do if my aunt took money that my father set aside for me and used it for herself?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my aunt took money that my father set aside for me and used it for herself?

My 3 sisters and I, lost our father when we were young. He left us all money for college. My aunt (his sister) was put in charge of it until we were of age. It has been 3 years since I was supposed to have received it. The statements of the money stopped coming from her years and years ago. When we asked her about it, she said she had to take it out and “put it into property” (her house I’m assuming) because when the economy was down years it put a small dent in the money. She kept telling us that she had to wait to take it out until it grew more value. She even said she would give me $20,000 (probably just to shut us up) but according to the statements from 15 years ago, $20,000 is exactly what we started with. This amount has grown.

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Estate Planning, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You and your three sisters can file a lawsuit against your aunt to recover the money.  Your remedy is to seek a constructive trust which means the court would order your aunt to return the money.  A constructive trust can be used to trace the funds to the property or other items your aunt purchased with the funds.  A lien can be placed on her house.  A lien is a debt that must be paid before her house can be sold.

Depending on the statute of limitations in your state, you may be able to file criminal charges  against your aunt for embezzlement.  The criminal case is separate from the civil case (lawsuit) discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption