If my 20 year-old son was injured in the eye by a 20 year-old friend, can we sue the parents?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 20 year-old son was injured in the eye by a 20 year-old friend, can we sue the parents?

The son is a college student claimed as a dependent by his parents, aren’t his parents liable? My son has had two retina laser surgeries, permanent vision loss, and is scheduled to have a shunt implanted in his eye to help with his now glaucoma.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Personal Injury, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should seek consultation from an attorney in your are on this matte.  Consultation is generally free in these matter.  Even though the boy is claimed as a dependent on the taxes of his parents he is an adult in his own right.  What you are asking is if the parents can be held liable for the acts of their adult son.  You gave no information or facts on what caused the injury: did they get in to a fight?  Did he just hurt him out of the blue?  Did the kid have a propensity to violence and sis the parents know it?  I do not feel that this is a very string case for you based upon what you have said here so go and seek some face to face advice.  And good luck to your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption