If my 20 month old niece has been staying with me and her uncle for the last 2 months, how can we get custody of her?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 20 month old niece has been staying with me and her uncle for the last 2 months, how can we get custody of her?

The baby was born addicted to methadone, and her mother had gone to rehab for a heroin addiction. She also has a record of prostitution charges. The mother has relapsed, so I have been taking care of her for the last 2 months. Now, her mother is choosing not to go to rehab to get help and is still using heroin. She is also with a man (not the baby’s father) who she claims is abusive but she does not wish to leave him either. She is taking to steps toward creating a safe environment for her daughter. Is there any way we can go for custody of the baby, especially since she has been staying with us?

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You sound like a very caring family, not only for your niece but for her Mother as well.  And I think that you recognize the issues well on all sides.  The court will make a custody determination "in the best interest of the child."   What you need to do is to get ana ttorney to bring a proceeding for temporary custody and guardianship.  It sounds as if you will have a decent chance of obtaining same.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption