What can my children do to get what their grandmother wanted therm to have and what the Will states?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can my children do to get what their grandmother wanted therm to have and what the Will states?

My 2 grown children are named as heirs in their paternal grandmothers Will, which she did after the death of their farther (her son). The 4 other heirs (her sons) do not want to split their inheritance with my 2 children and are trying not to have to give them an actual 1/5 of the total property she owned when she died. Her represtentive is reporting a substanially lower amount for the personal property that she owned at her death. Is this legal?

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it stands now.  It is difficult to discern what is going on with out reading the Will itself.  But as I understand it the estate is now to be split 6 ways - equally amongst the brothers and your children - rather than the children sharing their Father's share, which is what the brother's wish. What you need to do is to get an attorney for your children involved in the matter and to make sure that things are on the up and up here.  They can not go against the Will.  And you are entitled to an accounting.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption