What can be done to protect my granddaughter’s rights if she does not want to live with her step-mother?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done to protect my granddaughter’s rights if she does not want to live with her step-mother?

My 18 year-old granddaughter is having trouble at home with her step-mother. Her dad brought her to me and now the mother is going to have her arrested as a run away unless she goes home with her. What can be done to protect my granddaughters rights?

Asked on November 30, 2010 under Family Law, Idaho


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In ID, the "age of majority" is 18; your granddaughteris no longer a minor in the eyes of the law.  This means that she is legally an adult and can choose where she wants to live and with whom she wants to live with.  She is no longer under the legal control of a parent or guardian.  If it works for both of you, she can just stay at your house. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption