If my 17 year old son had aBB gun in his car on school grounds and was charged with possession of a weapon, is this a felony?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 17 year old son had aBB gun in his car on school grounds and was charged with possession of a weapon, is this a felony?

He was seen horsing around with the BB gun in the school parking lot one evening after practice. He was reported by a parent. He was questioned by police and school officials, he admitted to having a BB gun and allowed the officer to remove the gun. He was arrested and released to my wife. What kind of charges is he looking at? Should we speak with a criminal law attorney? In Tipton County, TN.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

My understanding that the laws of all states in this country preclude the possession of fire arms on school property for obvious reasons. I doubt that any charges against you son will be a felony since he has a bb gun as opposed to fire arm capable of discharging an actual bullet.

I suggest that a criminal defense attorney be retained to represent your son given the current situation in that the last thing he needs at this young age a criminal record for something done foolishly. Most likely he will be placed on court probation and ordered to do community service work. If he passes probation, the criminal charge or charges should be dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption