If my 13 year old son was hit by a car this summer, what steps do I need to take now?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 13 year old son was hit by a car this summer, what steps do I need to take now?

My son was hit by a car this summer. The auto insurance company of the person who hit my son is now seeking payment from me for the damages to their car. They believe we are partially responsible because it was at night and he had dark colored clothing and no helmet. We have also incurredmedical bills of about 5k after my medical insurance paid their 80% portion. What steps do I need to take now? Should i speak with a personal injury attorney? In Burlington County, NJ.

Asked on November 13, 2011 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, definitely speak with a personal injury attorney right away. In theory, even the victim of a car accident *could* be liable for the damage he causes the other vehicle, if he was at fault--but this typically applies to two-car collisions, where one driver is mostly at fault, but the other is not blameless. It is very rare to try to recover from a pedestrian, bike rider, or skateboarder, etc. who is injured by being hit by a car, and this may  be an attempt to put you on the defensive to keep you from suing their client, rather than a legitimate claim. An attorney can help you address this.

Moreover, even if your medical insuranc paid 80% of your son's costs, if the driver was at fault (e.g. careless, negligent, driving too fast, on handset phone while driving, drunk, etc.), you could potentially sue him for:

1) All out of pocket (unreimbursed) medical costs, both to date and projeted future;

2)  Lost wages (if you or  your spouse has had to take time out from work)

3) Your son's pain and suffering, if he he suffered long last severe injury, or long last disability.

4) Other out of pocket costs (have you had to take cabs to a hospital? hire an aide or  nurse? hire a tutor, if you son missed school? etc.).

5) Even property damage (e.g. was your son on a bike--and if so, what happened to it?).

In short, you could have failure significant claims--at least $5k, from what  you write--and you should discuss these with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption