What to do about assault charges that were file against my son?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about assault charges that were file against my son?

My 12 year child was involved in an accident. He was playing in the garden and his shoelaces were open. He was running and by mistake he pushed a guy who was sitting on a bench and he fell down. Now this guy has filed assault charges against my son. I wanted to know what is going to hapend and what do I need to do?

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the age of your son, it is probably unlikely that any criminal charges will actually be filed, unless your son blatantly had an intent to assault the man on bench. If charges are filed, then his matter will likely be taken up in the juvenile court. At this point, I would at least speak to a criminal defense attorney who handles juvenile matters in your area to discuss your son's various options if criminal charges are indeed filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption