What to do if my 10 year old daughter went into a gas station convenient store to purchase snacks for camp and was wrongly accused of theft?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 10 year old daughter went into a gas station convenient store to purchase snacks for camp and was wrongly accused of theft?

She was approached by a female clerk accusing her of stealing, grabbed her arm, and began digging through her pockets only to find nothing but her cell phone. I believe my daughter was violated and wish to pursue legal charges against this clerk. What charges if any are appropriate for this action?

Asked on July 31, 2013 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There probably is no legal action worth pursuing: that is not to make light of the violation experienced by your daughter, but without some injury (physical harm; imprisonment for a time; publication of accusations of theft, damaging reputation; etc.), you would almost certainly spend more on a lawsuit than you would recover; the legal system only provides nominal, or very small, compensation when there is no actual injury or loss. You could contact the police and relate what happened to the, to see if the authorities believe a crime was committed; but if they are not interested in pursuing the matter, there is no effective way to make them do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption