Can we have a mutually agreed upon ending of child support without making a court appearance?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we have a mutually agreed upon ending of child support without making a court appearance?

Child support payments scheduled by decree to end when our daughter graduates high school (this month). We are being told we have to file in court. Isn’t there a way to file notarized paperwork and avoid a court appearance? If I lived out of state, I can’t imagine they can “make” you travel to appear in court, especially me as custodial parent who isn’t fighting it.

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure who is telling you this but the if the decree states that child support ends upon the condition stated in the decree, then it is self terminating. However, if there are broader issues involved or the court requires a final termination so it does not unnecessarily report the payor to the authorities for non-payment, consider speaking with the court clerk for that particular judge about a joint motion you can simply file with the understanding you cannot directly appear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption