Must I attend court for an eviction hearing, even though Iput in a 30-day notice and turned in keys?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must I attend court for an eviction hearing, even though Iput in a 30-day notice and turned in keys?

I do owe 2 months rent.

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are under no legal obligation to attend the eviction hearing (unless you were subpoenaed to attend) for the rental that you occupy where you admittedly are several months behind in the rent. However if you fail to attend the hearing and the trial proceeds as scheduled, you most likely will lose by default where a default judgment will be entered against you to vacate the premises that you occupy where you could end up owing the landlord a sum of money.

In order to safeguard your interests concerning the lawsuit against you it is highly recommended that you attend the trial. Potentially you can enter into a court supervised agreement where you voluntarily agree to vacate the rental you are occupying on terms that are favorable to you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption