Will liens transfer if we move out of state?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will liens transfer if we move out of state?

My wife was offered a job in FL We have a couple liens against us. I was wondering if we move to FL is there anything the creditors can do to collect since the liens were issued when we were PA residents?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Recorded liens by a judgment creditor do not attach to the judgment debtor. The recorded liens attach to the real property or obligations of a judgment debtor assuming the liens were validly recorded and placed. For example, a wage garnishment.

If you move to another state and buy real property or set up new bank accounts, there is the possibility that the new state will accord full faith and credit to the state where the judgment is against you and your wife. If so, the judgment creditor could then record a lien against your assets in an new state and garnish your wages in an attempt to get partial or full satisfaction of the judgment(s) against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption