If I am moving out due to mold in my rental, am I entitled to get back my security deposit?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am moving out due to mold in my rental, am I entitled to get back my security deposit?

I moved into a rental house a week ago. Right away I noticed a musty odor and I started to feel sick. I ended up in emergency with bacterial pneumonia. I talked to my landlord and told her I suspected mold. A guy came out who is not a professional, sprayed something on the walls and left. I told her the smell is still there she is saying that I can move out but she has no money to give me back because she spent it. Prior to move in I had given her a security deposit and 1st month’s rent. I feel I am entitled to my security deposit back. Should I just let it go?

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No you should not just let it go.  First, if you signed a lease make ure that you get a release of the lease agreement or cancellation signed by her making it void.  Otherwise it is still binding.  If she will not give it to you go to court and ask them to void the lease.  You will have to bring a proceeding about the mold.  It breaches the warranty of habitability.  And a security deposit is for damage to the apartment.  Doubt that has occurred in such a short time.  Sue for that or ask for its return in the action. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption