If I have a payment dispute with a moving company, how doI get my personal items released?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a payment dispute with a moving company, how doI get my personal items released?

Movers came to my house and discussed all the terms that we agreed to over the phone. They asked me to sign a contract, however, I was in a rush and could not read it. They told me that it was just to protect themselves for any damage. However, there was a clause providing for $90 per item to wrap in plastic (never requested). They wrapped every single item despite my resistance. They said that they have to follow company guidelines. The move is inner city move – 8 miles and they tool around 4 hours to complete the job. Now they are demanding $3,000 (original demand was $5200). They are holding my stuff “hostage” until they are paid.

Asked on January 15, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem and I think that you already know what is coming: you signed the agreementand did not read the fine print.  You are going to be held to its terms and negotiating a lesser amount may be the best thing.  But no one can really tell you what is what without reading the contract on your behalf.  Holding your things hostage, though, is no the appropriate remedy for the moving company.  Are they licensed in the state?  Then I would call the state agency that licenses movers and I would call the state Attorney General's office and file a complaint.  Legally they could possibly be sued for conversion of the property and you can consult with an attorney about that should you get no help from the other agencies.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption