Moved to Texas, do I need to somehow register my business here?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Moved to Texas, do I need to somehow register my business here?

I’m living in IN and started a DE S-ocrp so that I could operate as a contractor to clients. My business address is my home address. Now I’ve moved to TX and again, my business address is my home address. I’m already paying unemployment taxes to Texas Workforce Commission I have a TX based accountant. I don’t have any Texas clients yet, I do work remotely to clients in other states. Is there any other type of registration I need to do, to make my S-corp

Asked on July 30, 2019 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to register as a "foreign" (that is, not formed in Texas) corporation doing business in Texas. You do so with the Texas Secretary of State. Here is a link to a Secretary of State's office webpage that should be helpful:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption