If I’m not yet 18, can I move out of my parent’s house?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m not yet 18, can I move out of my parent’s house?

I’ll be 18 in 6 months.

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can't move out of you parents' home, at least not without their permission,  until you reach the "age of majority", that is 18. Until that time, your parents will continue to be responsible for you and can have the police bring you back as a runaway if you leave.

If you want to move out before then, you will need to become "emancipated". This entails going to court and convincing a judge to legally separate you from your parents. If you are successful, you will be emancipated and assume most of the responsibilities of an adult. However, you would need to prove that you can live independently by supporting yourself and having an acceptable place to live.

That all having been said, this process takes time and some money, so you may just want to wait it out until your birthday.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption