Mortgage Consolidation Obligations in the event of Death

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Mortgage Consolidation Obligations in the event of Death

My dad had 2 homes; 1 is a completely paid off holiday home and the other is his primary residence that has a mortgage. He is considering a mortgage reversal to supplement his income as he doesn’t work much being 70. If he were to pass away with a mortagage loan, could the other property be used to help pay this off? I’m his only son and he has said that the free and clear property is in my name which I take to mean I’m set to inherit it. I would like to live there.

Asked on December 23, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no obligation to consolidate mortgages, so property 1 would only be affected by property 2's mortgage if when he took out the reverse mortgage, he  agreed to use property 1 as collateral for (i.e. to help secure) the loan on property 2. If he did that, then when he passes away, the lender could look to foreclose on both properties if the remaining balance on property 2's loan is not paid. But if he did not "cross collateralize" or otherwise use property 1 to secure the property 2 loan, then while propety 2 could be foreclosed upon, property one would not be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption