Morality Clause

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Morality Clause

I been divorced for 9 years, my kids are now 14,18 and 20 years old. I want to
know If I can remove the morality clause off my divorce decree. I don’t want to
get married just yet, but my boyfriend and I do want to live together. What do I
need to do to removed it without spending a lot of money.


Asked on February 1, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your ex will agree to this, you can most likey get it removed by consent: you would have him sign an affidavit stating that he agrees to this, contact the family court, and ask how to you submit a proposed modification of the decree by consent, stressing that your ex agrees to it. Courts generally will make modifications agreed to by both sides.
If he does not agree, you'd have to make a motion to the court, over his opposition, and convince the court that the clause is unnecessary and harmful, so that the judge agreed to modify it. Clearly, if doing this, you would benefit from the assistance of an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption